上海性息_上海专业的夜网论坛

Powered By Vou!

Cardwell, Tully devastated by Cyclone Yasi

on 11/01/2019

Cardwell looks like a tsunami has hit, and in Tully half of the homes have been damaged, media reports said.

上海性息

Northern Queensland is not yet in the clear after Cyclone Yasi, Premier Anna Bligh warned, with a second storm surge rising higher than expected and the system still churning its way inland.

In Cardwell, the marina is destroyed, million-dollar boats have been ripped apart, homes have had roofs torn off, buildings are just shells, power lines are down everywhere and the town is barely recognisable, the Courier Mail reported.

In Tully, a local councillor estimates half of the homes have been damaged.

Cassowary Coast Regional Council’s Ross Sorbello took shelter in a car under his mother’s home during Wednesday night’s category five storm, which lashed the area around Tully with wind gusts of up to 300km/h.

Premier Anna Bligh has promised emergency workers will get into the town as soon as they are able, but so far there have been no reports of deaths or injuries.

The first reports from authorities there say 90 per cent of the main street has suffered “extensive” damage.

Mr Sorbello said the roof of his home blew off and he believed it would have to be demolished.

Other homes in his street also suffered roof damage, he said. “It was very horrific,” he told ABC Radio on Thursday.

“By about midnight she started to blow here like I’ve never seen before in my life.

“I went through Larry … twice as bad as that.” Mr Sorbello had initially sheltered in his bathroom with his mother and wife until louvres were broken by flying debris and they were forced to move.

“I’m tipping that anywhere between 20 and 50 per cent of the houses in Tully have got structural damage of some degree or another, some of them quite extensive,” he said.

Cane farmer Vince Silvestro said he wouldn’t be surprised if the damage was more extensive than that.

“There’s so much damage it’s just incredible,” he told AAP. “Our crops are completely destroyed.

“… The countryside is completely stripped, the trees, even the hospital’s damaged. “When I woke up it looked like what it would have looked like in World World II or something if the city had been bombed.”

Mr Silvestro, 56, said he had been through several cyclone but Yasi was “terrifying”. He said his shed blew up but his home was only water damaged.

But his daughter’s home was smashed by debris and his niece had roofing from five different houses in her back yard.

Retired cane farmer Dawn French told AAP a sheet of iron was blown off her tractor shed into her kitchen.

“A piece of iron flew off, hit my glass windows, ripped off the guttering and put water throughout my house,” Ms French said.

“It’s ruined my bathroom and toilet completely. I just put in a new kitchen and floor coverings. “It’s just devastating.”

Red Cross worker Noelene Byrne decided to move the evacuation centre from Tully’s senior citizens hall on Wednesday night because she feared the 10 people there would not be safe.

“I’m now in front of the senior citizens and it’s one mangled heap,” she told ABC Radio on Thursday morning. “Had I left people there, there would have been loss of life.

“The destruction there is just heartbreaking. “It’s just the front wall of the hall that’s standing, the rest is just one big scrap heap.”

Thousands of Queenslanders bunkered down last night ahead of the category five monster, and felt they had “dodged a bullet” when they woke to news of no deaths or injuries on this morning.

But Premier Bligh has been reluctant to say the state has got off scot-free, with emergency workers only literally cutting their way into the worst-hit towns of Cardwell, Mission Beach and Silkwood from 9am (AEST).

While the low-lying areas were subject to evacuation orders, there are rumours that 100 people stayed in seaside Cardwell, where the storm surge was forecast to rise to seven metres.

A second storm surge on Thursday’s 9.30am high tide had also come in higher than expected and Cyclone Yasi’s destructive path across the state was continuing.

Ms Bligh said evacuation centres in Cairns and Townsville would remain in lockdown until the threat of the storm surge had passed.

About 9.30am, waves were crashing over the esplanade in Cairns and water was rising in Townsville, Rose Bay and the surrounds. “It’s not over yet,” Ms Bligh told reporters. “We can still expect, I think, the possibility of sad and bad news.

“We are out there monitoring and we are out there literally cutting our way into communities to find people who might be unsafe.” Heavy flooding was also expected at Townsville, Ingham, Giru and throughout the upper Burdekin, Ms Bligh said.

“If the rainfall keeps at its current rate that could be revised up to heavy and serious flooding in Ingham,” she said.

The premier was to travel to the worst-hit areas with reconstruction authority boss Major General Mick Slater and Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson on Thursday.

In Innisfail power poles had been snapped in half while in Tully one in three houses had either lost its roof or been completely demolished and more than 20 per cent of businesses in the main street were damaged.

Cyclone Yasi’s destructive core, with wind gusts in excess of 125km/h, was weakening as it moved west-southwesterly as a category two cyclone, the Bureau of Meteorology said.

Inland communities, not used to cyclones, are being urged to prepare ahead of the storm passing over the city of Mt Isa as a tropical depression on Thursday night.

Elsewhere in the state there are massive power outages, communications problems and Townsville Council is urging citizens to conserve drinking water.

Some 177,000 homes are without power, some because of a transmission break and others because of downed powerlines. Only 15 per cent of Townsville has electricity supply, the whole of Ingham is out and 34 per cent of Cairns has power and half of the homes in Mackay and Proserpine were out.

Teams from Centrelink and the Department of Communities are ready to go into affected towns with relief as soon as it’s safe.

The Premier’s Disaster Relief Appeal, activated for the state’s flooding, will be broadened to cover the cyclone.


Comments are closed.